Slow Fermenting?

Slow Fermenting?

Postby G8S » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:58 am

I am brand new to brewing, and have some EZ caps batches going that don't APPEAR to be fermenting very much after 3 days. There are bubbles forming, but they are not building up it appears, as there is only a thin line on the edge against the bottle. I followed instructions as read on this site and a video on youtube. The receipt I used was like this: (for a 3.8Liter batch): 1.5 cups golden light DME, 1 cup corn sugar, ~1.5 tbsps on hops. Slow boiled for 25 mins, let cool to room temp and added yeast that came with EZ Caps, ~1/4 tsp. AFter 2 days I added maybe another 16th of a tsp to each 2 liter bottle. Both times adding yeast, I shook one bottle and did not shake the other. (Because I saw instructions showing both, so thought I'd try both). They are sitting right around 72-73 deg F. So, my question is, does this sound like normal fermentation, or should I see more bubbles, like I do with the wines I have going???
G8S

Re: Slow Fermenting?

Postby ezcaps » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:30 pm

What kind of yeast are you using for the beer? Some beer yeasts are selected to ferment slowly in order to allow flavors to develop. Also, the fermentation for grain sugars looks different than fruit sugars. Sometimes I brew beer and the fermentation appears to be going slowly but in reality, sometimes they ferment quicker than wines.

Lastly, if your beer has been fermenting for 3 days at that temperature, it is probably done. Beer ferments amazingly quickly with EZ Caps. Try a little taste test and see if it's ready for the fridge clarification.
ezcaps
Site Admin

Postby G8S » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:03 pm

I'm using the EZ Cap yeast that came with my kit. I did see at least 1 recipe that said like 3 days, but why do most I have seen talk about 2 weeks? (including the youtube recipe I followed). Different yeast?? I will do test run. If I feel it is not there, would pitching other beer yeast into work?
G8S

Postby ezcaps » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:14 am

G8S wrote:I'm using the EZ Cap yeast that came with my kit. I did see at least 1 recipe that said like 3 days, but why do most I have seen talk about 2 weeks? (including the youtube recipe I followed). Different yeast?? I will do test run. If I feel it is not there, would pitching other beer yeast into work?

You can make beer with the EZ Caps yeast but you'll get better results using a yeast specific to the beer you are making (use an ale yeast when making ale, a lager yeast with lager, etc). At this point, I wouldn't add any more yeast. If it is fermenting (or fermented), enough yeast has been added.

As far as the question about fermenting time goes, the instructions are generally "beginner's instructions". An intermediate user knows that fermenting beer with EZ Caps only takes a few days, and they know how to make that determination. A beginner doesn't always have that knowledge so the instructions are given for the worst case scenario. Home brewing is part art and part science.

If you haven't done so already, try a quick taste of the beer. I usually leave the cap on, invert the bottle slightly, and insert my thumb nail or other object into the easy cap slit and let the pressure eject some of the liquid into a glass. Because it's not clarified it won't be a true representation of the final product, but if the sweetness is gone and it tastes like beer the fermentation is done. (Also read our FAQ referencing how to tell when the fermentation is complete).
ezcaps
Site Admin

Postby G8S » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:55 pm

OK thanks, I have other yeasts on the way for that very reason, maybe that is the main issue this batch. I did try 1 of the bottles. does not taste sweet, but very mild flavor in general. maybe b/c recipe only used 1.25 cup light dry malt (for 3.8L), and corn sugar on the front end, with no grains steeped or anything else to add color and flavors. (learning more and more as I watch more videos ;o). Not sure there is much alcohol there, but I will probably chill one or both and see what I get.... again still a LOT of learning to do

Thanks, G8S
G8S

Postby ezcaps » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:42 pm

G8S wrote:OK thanks, I have other yeasts on the way for that very reason, maybe that is the main issue this batch. I did try 1 of the bottles. does not taste sweet, but very mild flavor in general. maybe b/c recipe only used 1.25 cup light dry malt (for 3.8L), and corn sugar on the front end, with no grains steeped or anything else to add color and flavors. (learning more and more as I watch more videos ;o). Not sure there is much alcohol there, but I will probably chill one or both and see what I get.... again still a LOT of learning to do

Thanks, G8S

No hops?
ezcaps
Site Admin

Postby G8S » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:42 am

Yes, sorry I did boil about 1.25tbsps, or so, of pelletized hops, tied in a coffee filter. For 25 mins
G8S

Postby ezcaps » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:37 am

G8S wrote:Yes, sorry I did boil about 1.25tbsps, or so, of pelletized hops, tied in a coffee filter. For 25 mins

You didn't say what kind of hops, but I would have added 2 heaping tbsps. of hops for 4 liters. Then again, I love hops.

It sounds like your beverage is done fermenting, but without a hydrometer reading and a goal its hard to know for sure. I guess you'll find out when you enjoy a glass and determine if you can also enjoy it's effects. You said it was not sweet, so it's probably done. When we sold the EZ Caps beer kit, we used Munton's beer yeast. It is not beer-type specific and it makes a good beer with these generic ingredients. The results were very good and when used with EZ Caps in 2 liter bottles the fermentation period was generally 2-3 days. You can find some recipes throughout this site.
ezcaps
Site Admin

Return to Beer