Noticed an ingredient, and am curious...

Share your recipes and ask your beverage specific questions here.

Noticed an ingredient, and am curious...

Postby BaronRocco » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:06 pm

So, I began my first batch of wine using Welch's 100% White Grape Juice.
While reading the ingredients on the back of the bottle, I noticed something that raised a red flag in my amateur brew-making mind.
The ingredient: Potassium Metabisulfite. Am I mistaken, or is this not a main ingredient in campden tablets, which is used to STOP the fermentation process?
Am I over-thinking this, or will it in fact stop or slow the process?
Thanks in advance.

Be Well,
BaronRocco
BaronRocco

Re: Noticed an ingredient, and am curious...

Postby ezcaps » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:58 am

More than likely, the amount in the grape juice is too small too prevent successfull fermentation. In my experience, it causes a slow start but after that- yeast wins.
ezcaps
Site Admin

Postby BaronRocco » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:08 am

Thanks for the quick reply!
I will be patient, and see when the action starts to happen!

Be Well,
BaronRocco
BaronRocco

Postby ezcaps » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:37 am

BaronRocco wrote:Thanks for the quick reply!
I will be patient, and see when the action starts to happen!

Be Well,
BaronRocco

If you don't see some signs of life after 24 hours, add more yeast.
ezcaps
Site Admin

Postby BaronRocco » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:27 pm

I checked in on it this morning, and yeah there are major signs of the process beginning to work.
The bottle is tight, foam & bubbles beginning to form, juice is getting cloudy and the "gas release" is starting to bulge upward.
So, yeah, I was over-thinking it :oops:
Thanks again!
BaronRocco

Postby saramc » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:48 am

You are correct that the k-meta is the same component found in Campden tabs. Just remember that the amount of k-meta that is used as a preservative in the commercial food market is monitored and there is a minimum/maximum that any manufacturer can use. And the prior comment is correct that the amount of k-meta used as a preservative is usually so minimal that it will not affect the start of fermentation. If you are making a wine and your ingredients indicate k-meta is already included simply do not use k-meta/Campden as part of the process prior to pitching the yeast, that would be like double dosing.

The one ingredient you do need to look for is SORBATE or any derivative of that word. Sorbate will create an inhospitable environment for the yeast and prevent them from growing/multiplying. That seven letter word creates more havoc for new winemakers who do not read labels or understand the ingredients on the labels. The best thing to do with an ingredient that has sorbate and you really want it in your wine, is to use as part of the backsweetening process. Not saying that you CAN'T ferment using products that have sorbate, but be prepared for it to be quite difficult.

And to straighten out a myth....k-meta will NOT stop a fermentation. K-meta/campden inhibits harmful bacteria through the release of sulfur dioxide, a powerful antiseptic. The k-meta when used in combination with sorbate AFTER ACTIVE FERMENTATION HAS CEASED helps ensure that the yeast cannot continue to multiply, but the yeast that are established and there will continue to utilize the existing sugar source until they die off. The best way to try to halt a ferment is to refrigerate the wine, rack it in 30 days and then every 60 days until it is clear and no longer dropping sediment, and then stabilize with sorbate and k-meta, backsweeten if necessary, wait at least 10 days to make sure fermentation has not resumed by checking with hydrometer, rack wine every 30 days until no longer dropping sediment and then sterile filter it.
My EZ Cap Adventures:
Cinnamon Fireweed Mead
Juicy Juice Berry
Perry
Hard Apple Cider
CoconutWhiteGrape--in progress
saramc

Return to Recipes and questions