Hard Iced Tea

Hard Iced Tea

Postby ezcaps » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:25 pm

I'm always experimenting to find something new. Here is my most recent endeavor:

HARD ICED TEA

I brought nearly one liter of water to a boil and then removed from the heat. I added 5 bags of Earl Grey and 5 bags of black tea and let it steep for 20 minutes. Then I removed the tea bags and added 2 cups of brown sugar, and stirred until it dissolved. Then I added 1 liter of cold water, mixed well, and placed in a 2-liter bottle that had just finished making hard cider (see post about reusing yeast. I wasn't sure if brown-sugar-tea-water would be difficult to ferment or not so I used a starter to give it a head start).

Within 1 hour I had VERY active fermentation. My plan was to ferment it for one week but when I sampled it after 5 days it was already more dry than I would have liked. I added some sugar, to taste, and enjoyed an alcoholic iced tea. It was actually pretty refreshing and although it is winter, I imagined coming in and drinking some of the brew after mowing the lawn on a hot day.

Next time I'm going to add 2 more tea bags and an additional cup of brown sugar and possibly some lemon to the recipe. This time I'll take gravity measurements so I know what the alcohol % is.

This experiment was a success. I can only imagine how many different flavors can be developed by using different types of tea. I am definitely going to make this again.
ezcaps
Site Admin

Re: Hard Iced Tea

Postby Casketmaker » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:52 am

HHHMMM with my experience with making coffee wine I would have expected a tea wine to be less than enjoyable so I would have never tried it but now you have me interested.
Casketmaker

Postby scog73 » Thu May 26, 2011 4:00 am

I have some spiced tea left over from christmas so ive made it the same as your recipe so fingers crossed i might get a spicy mulled wine affect also did you find out what the alcohol proof was in your hard iced tea?
scog73

Postby ezcaps » Mon May 30, 2011 5:05 pm

scog73 wrote:I have some spiced tea left over from christmas so ive made it the same as your recipe so fingers crossed i might get a spicy mulled wine affect also did you find out what the alcohol proof was in your hard iced tea?

I didn't take any gravity readings but due to my decades of experience my estimates are usually really good and I estimated this one to be about 6%. I intended to make this again but got distracted with the beer kits and haven't had a chance to. Next time I make it I'm going to add more sugar.

Your spiced tea idea sounds awesome. Let us know how it turns out.
ezcaps
Site Admin

Postby scog73 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:04 am

Hello it turned out amazing its fizzy, light seems very alcoholic looks like cider in colour, ive put a few squirts of lemon into it and strangely it doesnt taste off tea at all with the lemon its just like a fizzy juice drink and on its own it tastes like a dry white wine.What i changed was i had a bottle of cinnamon syrup and i put one cup of that and only one cup of sugar but you cant taste the cinnamon which i hoped i would.

But over all its really great i have 2nd and 3rd batches on the go with differnt types of tea
scog73

Return to Other