2 weeks to ferment?

2 weeks to ferment?

Postby doublehead73 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:50 pm

Hi! I'm seeing conflicting reports/recipes here. Some say ferment for 1 week, some say for 2. Currently I have 2 -2gallon batches of Hefeweizen brewing. One is 8 days old... I tasted it using the tip the bottle and squirt trick.. tastes great!

But of course the recipe calls for a 2 week ferment and another 1-2weeks bottling/settling.

Lets hear some opinions.. Meahwhile after reading, calling, and researching, I have ordered ingredients for a 100% organic Hefeweizen. If it's successful, I will post the recipe and ingredient source for you all.

-Shaun
doublehead73

Re: 2 weeks to ferment?

Postby ezcaps » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:50 am

If you are using EZ Caps in 2 liter bottles, they are usually done fermenting in 3 days.
ezcaps
Site Admin

Postby doublehead73 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:32 pm

Hehehe now I'm confused... 3 days? That kicks butt, but how does it achieve this accelerated ferment? Any why do you suggest 2 weeks in your recipe and kit?
I bottled one yesterday, Ill do a couple more today.

Thanks!
doublehead73

Postby doublehead73 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:06 pm

Well, here is my experience... I went ahead and chilled a couple bottles , changed caps.. (at 9 days I think?)I drank some the next night.. AMAZING! So so so good. Then I went ahead and bottled some, continuing to drink from the plastic ones.
Interesting thing to note: The bottled ones smell of sulfur when opening.. It SHOULD settle in after 3 weeks... Wheat beers yeasts have more sulfur release. Apparently sulfur is released mainly at the end of the yeasts life. In normal brewing conditions, it is allowed to air out. This would be a good reason for fermenting for the 2 weeks! However I wonder if that would detract from the carbonation.. In which case you could add some fresh unyeasted beer to the bottle and seal - like normal kraussening. Also, perhaps its best to avoid wheat beers due to the extra sulfur...

I have since brewed a all-organic partial mash hefeweizen. I used a 5 gallon glass bottle, but I put 2 liters of it into a plastic with EZ caps. SO COOL, I get to taste the brew much earlier this way. Tasted it today and its unreal... no sulfur, and just indescribably loaded with tasty nuances.
doublehead73

Return to Beer