Orange, Blackberry or Honey Wheat

Orange, Blackberry or Honey Wheat

Postby MrMatt » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:03 am

You can use either 1 orange (squeezed), 1/2 cup of honey or 1 cups of blackberries (strained)
Needed:
Wheat DME (Dried Malt Extract)
Cascade Hops
one orange (squeezed), 1/2 cup of honey, or 1 cup of frozen blackberries added at wort cool down and strained from wort before pouring into bottles
1 packet Muntons Ale Yeast
sting closure tea bags (for hops)
a large stainless steel pot and spoon
water, obviously
a thermometer
a funnel
2) 2liter soda bottles and 2 ez-caps

How large of a batch you would like to make will determine the amount of each ingredient to use.
I generally will use the ratio of 1lb of DME per gallon of beer I intend to make. This can be reduced slightly or increased depending on if you want a dryer beer with lower alcohol content or a higher alcohol fuller bodied beer.

1. Put 2 tablespoons of hops into one tea bag. Put 1 more tablespoon into a second teabag.
2. Weigh 1lb of dried malt extract DME.
3. Bring 3 quarts of water to a boil on the stove.
4. Once at a rolling boil, remove from stove, set in sink and add 1lb of DME, stir well with a sanitized steel spoon.
5. Cut orange in half and squeeze as much juice as you can into the wort.
6. Place the first tea bag containing the 2 tablespoons of hops into the wort and place back on stove over a medium heat for 30 minutes.
7. After 30 minutes, remove the first bag of hops and replace with the second bag containing 1 tablespoon, boil for 5 more minutes.
8. Remove from stove and place in sink filled with cold water and ice being careful not to allow any water to run into the pot. Remove 2nd tea bag of hops & allow wort to cool to at least 85° F
9. using the funnel, pour an equal amount of cooled wort into each 2liter bottle, top up any remaining space with cold water to within 2-3 inches of the bottle mouth.
10. Pour 1/8 teaspoon of yeast into each bottle, screw on an ez-cap and shake for a minute or two. Then place in a dark location.
Note: depending on how much water you added to the bottle in step 9, you may want to place a small piece of plastic wrap loosely over the cap to prevent any spray from going all over the place once fermentation has begun. While you're at it, it may also be a good idea to set them on a plate or shallow pan.
11. Allow to ferment for a total of 10 days. I will usually shake mine up at least once or twice during this time.
12. Remove ez-caps and screw on the original regular caps. Place upright in fridge for 3-5 days.
You should notice that the yeast has settled to the bottom. At this point you can either pour it directly into glasses or a pitcher to drink or you can pour it into another clean 2 liter bottle to drink later. When pouring, be careful not to pour the yeast sediment from the bottom. This is good for you if you drink it but will make the beer cloudy. Also, if you save this yeast you can reuse it for future batches!
MrMatt

Return to Beer