re-fermenting low or alcohol free beers

re-fermenting low or alcohol free beers

Postby ezcaps » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:11 pm

Question: i can get cheap beer at 2%abv could i use this kit to increase the alcohol level to around 5%abv, could this also be used on alcohol free beers?

Answer: While I have never done this, based on my 10+ years experience, theoretically it is possible. However before proceeding you need to realize that the taste of the beer would change significantly and you will need extra ingredients. Commercial beers may have artificial preservatives added. If the beer you are trying to referment has them you will probably not be able to get it to ferment.

I would start out by opening the beer and letting it get flat. I say this because most commercial beer like you described has been artificially carbonated and that may be toxic to yeast. After it has gone flat I would stir it vigorously with a whisk to add normal atmosphere to the beer. Next, you need to add sugar and yeast. If you add regular table sugar the beer will get a dry "cidery" flavor. If you add dried malt extract (available from home brew supply stores and online, also known as DME) it will add more body and flavor (and alcohol) to the beer. In a 2 liter bottle every cup (235 ml) of DME that you add is going to increase the alcohol content by roughly 3%. Sugar would increase the alcohol more but like I said you are going to suffer on the taste.

All that being said, I think that you would be better off by just making your own beer. I've got a few test batches going right now and when they are done I will add those recipes to those already available on this site. Another option would be to make an extremely high alcohol beer and mix it with the low or non-alcoholic beer. I know a budget brewer who made a recipe where one of their bottles of home brewed beer turns 3 cans of nasty American lawnmowing beer into something fairly tasty after mixing.
ezcaps
Site Admin

Return to Beer