can i stop the alcohol process without refridgerating?

can i stop the alcohol process without refridgerating?

Postby merryman » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:55 pm

Made my first go on cider last week and tried it today, very nice drink and very strong but without tasting strong, lethal but nice. made cider in 2litre pop bottles, and I'm keen to make more. I don't have a lot of fridge room to chill cider and stop fermentaion but would like to be able to make a lot and start bottling it with the swing top bottles. in order to pass on later as christmas gifts. Can i stop the process any other way or do i need to buy a seperate fridge. dont want my bottles exploding but would like to build up a stock.
merryman

Re: can i stop the alcohol process without refridgerating?

Postby surge0n66 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:44 am

Hi

I have been making cider with excellent results. I was advised by another member that cider does well in temps of around 65deg and will clear slowly but surely.

Don't forget that once the yeast has completely eaten all of the sugar you put in, the fermentation will stop anyway, with a strong dry result. Make sure you leave it as long as it wants and find as cool a place as you can if you do not have fridge space, it will do it on it's own. It would be advisable to look at the top of the liquid after 14 days and check that the bubbles have stopped rising. If you have a hydrometer, pop it in a test chamber and if the FG is around 1000 then the sugar has been converted to alcohol and the fermentation will cease through the yeast having nothing left to eat.

It may be worth carefully decanting into your swing-top bottles after a few days clearing so that you can use the yeast in the next batch again as it will reactivate when it finds more sugar to work on. Good luck and happy brewing!

;)
surge0n66

Re: can i stop the alcohol process without refridgerating?

Postby ezcaps » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:17 pm

merryman wrote:Made my first go on cider last week and tried it today, very nice drink and very strong but without tasting strong, lethal but nice. made cider in 2litre pop bottles, and I'm keen to make more. I don't have a lot of fridge room to chill cider and stop fermentaion but would like to be able to make a lot and start bottling it with the swing top bottles. in order to pass on later as christmas gifts. Can i stop the process any other way or do i need to buy a seperate fridge. dont want my bottles exploding but would like to build up a stock.

You can buy campden tablets at a local homebrew store to stop fermentation by killing the yeast with chemicals: "Campden tablets are also used towards the end of the fermentation process to halt the ferment before all the available sugars are converted by the yeast, hence controlling the amount of residual sweetness in the final product. This balancing between sweet, dry and tart flavors is part of the artistry of wine and cider making." (reference http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campden_tablets )
ezcaps
Site Admin

Return to Cider