Muscadine Wine

Muscadine Wine

Postby brewnut » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:56 pm

Had a bumper crop this year (several buckets full) of muscadine grapes - Ison variety (dark purple/black). Wanted to try and make some wine along with the usual jelly. Read where storing them in the freezer first helps breakdown the fibers and juice better - not to mention the storage issue for so many grapes! So once I rinse the frozen grapes and let them thaw I plan to boil them down before juicing them through a pillowcase used for filtering the juice. Do I use the resulting juice straight into the 2-liter bottles up to the 90% level or cut with x% water? I know from past experience the resulting juice is rather opaque, soupy and tart. I'll experiment and let you know what happens. Didn't know if anyone else has tried the EZCaps method with muscadines before and might have some suggestions or recommendations.
brewnut

Re: Muscadine Wine

Postby ezcaps » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:46 pm

brewnut wrote:Had a bumper crop this year (several buckets full) of muscadine grapes - Ison variety (dark purple/black). Wanted to try and make some wine along with the usual jelly. Read where storing them in the freezer first helps breakdown the fibers and juice better - not to mention the storage issue for so many grapes! So once I rinse the frozen grapes and let them thaw I plan to boil them down before juicing them through a pillowcase used for filtering the juice. Do I use the resulting juice straight into the 2-liter bottles up to the 90% level or cut with x% water? I know from past experience the resulting juice is rather opaque, soupy and tart. I'll experiment and let you know what happens. Didn't know if anyone else has tried the EZCaps method with muscadines before and might have some suggestions or recommendations.

Look forward to hearing your results. Keep us posted!
ezcaps
Site Admin

Return to Wine