Spiked Pineapple WOW WOW WOW

Spiked Pineapple WOW WOW WOW

Postby saramc » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:11 pm

I have a recipe for a pineapple beverage made from the core/skins of a fresh pineapple, and I used that liquid in a EZ caps recipe and WOW is all I can say. I will start with the recipe for the pineapple beverage:
Chicha de piña or spiced pineapple drink by laylita.com

Ingredients:
The skins and core of 1 pineapple, well washed
½ to ¾ lb of panela or brown sugar, whole or in chunks – more or less to taste
Assorted spices: cinnamon sticks, all spice peppers, cloves, anise, etc
10-12 cups of water
Preparation:
Combine all of the ingredients in large saucepan or pot
Bring to a boil and simmer partially covered for at about an hour, stirring occasionally.
Let cool down, unless you are drinking it warm or hot, you can drink it immediately or let it rest refrigerated to allow the spices and pineapple flavor to concentrate.
After reaching the appropriate amount of spice, you can also leave at room temperature, in a glass jar with a paper towel cover, for up to a week & this will ferment and become alcoholic beverage, likely 2-4 ABV!
BUT, to ferment with E-Z caps, to every 20 oz of pineapple goodness I added 1/4 cup of sugar. I halted fermentation at 4 days, simply because that is where I fell in love with it.

**FYI: SARAMC used 3-3" cinnamon sticks, 1 whole star anise and 3 whole cloves & removed the spices and pineapple core/skins after 4 hours in the refrigerator. I then filled a quart glass jar with the strained liquid and added a spear of the core and part of the rind, being sure to cover any added matter with liquid & then covered opening with a coffee filter. It is resting in a warm spot. Stir gently on a daily basis, inspect for any foreign matter growth. After about 7 days I strain and place in a pretty glass bottle for adult consumption. My family LOVES to sip on the non-alcoholic version over ice or even warmed, and the grown ups do enjoy the spiked up version--countertop method and EZ caps version. The bubbles that EZ cap add take it up a notch. Enjoy!!!
My EZ Cap Adventures:
Cinnamon Fireweed Mead
Juicy Juice Berry
Perry
Hard Apple Cider
CoconutWhiteGrape--in progress
saramc

Return to Wine