new to wine making

Share your recipes and ask your beverage specific questions here.

new to wine making

Postby noshie » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:33 am

received my easy caps kit on monday and started 4 different flavours of using pure fruit jucies cherry, apple and mango, cranberry and rasberry and orange peach and passion fruit. was very surprised by how fast it started to ferment. will let you know the results. Just one question will they be safe to bottle into wine bottles withn screw tops after i have finished with the fermentation and clearing process.

:D
noshie

Re: new to wine making

Postby ezcaps » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:02 am

noshie wrote:received my easy caps kit on monday and started 4 different flavours of using pure fruit jucies cherry, apple and mango, cranberry and rasberry and orange peach and passion fruit. was very surprised by how fast it started to ferment. will let you know the results. Just one question will they be safe to bottle into wine bottles withn screw tops after i have finished with the fermentation and clearing process.

:D

Question #11: After brewing wine should it be refrigerated or will fermentation start again and can it be bottled for extended shelf life?

Answer: Fermentation is complete when one of the following occurs: 1) All the sugar is consumed and the yeast dies of starvation. 2) The alcohol content reaches 16-18% which will kill the yeast. 3) The beverage becomes toxic to the yeast due to natural or artificial reasons (such as the addition of chemicals specifically designed to kill the yeast such as a Campden tablet). 4) The temperature of the beverage rises above approximately 104 degrees for a period long enough to kill the yeast. Fermentation is complete when no more bubbles are rising to the surface when the beverage is at room temperature. If you place a beverage into the refrigerator that isn't completely fermented, it will continue to ferment in the refrigerator at a VERY VERY slow pace (i.e what you use to count in days now takes months). If you take such a beverage out of the refrigerator, it may begin active fermentation again. It is important to ensure fermentation is complete or almost completed before bottling your beverage at room temperature. Failure to follow this rule can result in burst bottles and possibly even personal injury. I don't use additives in my beverages but that is a personal choice . I let the yeast die naturally by letting the yeast dine until it dies of it's own alcohol poisoning or by starvation. Bottling your beverages is fun and it allows different flavors to develop over time.

Question #11a: How long does bottled EZ Caps last before going bad?

Answer: This depends on many factors including temperature, alcoholic and sugar content of the beverage, and storage conditions. In worst conditions the beverage will last about a year, in average conditions several years, and in best conditions, several decades.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6
ezcaps
Site Admin

Re: new to wine making

Postby Ardella25 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:23 pm

One of my first wines was a Napa Syrah from fresh grapes and it practically made itself. If you let it sit for a day, and can't sulphite it, be sure and keep it cold (below 60) to keep it from starting fermentation with the wild yeast. Sanitize ice packs or frozen 2 liter soda bottles and submerge them to keep it cold. The let it warm up for the yeast pitch. I am sure Pastuer Red will do a fine job, but if you are going to a wine supply store, get some Syrah specific yeast. I have had great results with Enoferm Syrah (DYW70). Great color and liquid extraction (9 gallons from 100lbs of fruit) and I left it on the lees for secondary and had a natural MLF. The end product was mellow with some pepper flavor and fantastic mouthfeel. I am kicking myself for only buying 100lbs..
Ardella25

Return to Recipes and questions