Fermentation Question

Share your recipes and ask your beverage specific questions here.

Fermentation Question

Postby grofaz » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:37 am

Hi all, great forum.

I started my first brews with 2 two Lt plastic bottles; one with red wine and the other with mead. I followed the instructions included to the letter. After just two days I started seeing the fermentation at the top of both batches indicated by a thin layer of very small white bubbles. Since this is my first time doing this I thought that the process seemed te be somewhat "stuck" so I read the forums and decided to add a bit more sugar and yeast.

I opened both bottles, very slowly since they both had a lot of pressure and added the extra ingredients, 1/2 cup of sugar and 1/4tsp of yeast. re-sealed and waited. After 3 more days the red wine has a tiny layer of very small white bubbles on top and the mead looks flat. Both bottles are hard and the EZ caps are "popped up" as before.

Have I ruined my batch? and What physical evidence can I observe regarding the fermenting process?

Thanks in advance.
grofaz

Re: Fermentation Question

Postby ezcaps » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:46 pm

grofaz wrote:Hi all, great forum.

I started my first brews with 2 two Lt plastic bottles; one with red wine and the other with mead. I followed the instructions included to the letter. After just two days I started seeing the fermentation at the top of both batches indicated by a thin layer of very small white bubbles. Since this is my first time doing this I thought that the process seemed te be somewhat "stuck" so I read the forums and decided to add a bit more sugar and yeast.

I opened both bottles, very slowly since they both had a lot of pressure and added the extra ingredients, 1/2 cup of sugar and 1/4tsp of yeast. re-sealed and waited. After 3 more days the red wine has a tiny layer of very small white bubbles on top and the mead looks flat. Both bottles are hard and the EZ caps are "popped up" as before.

Have I ruined my batch? and What physical evidence can I observe regarding the fermenting process?

Thanks in advance.

From your description, it sounds like normal fermentation was proceding before you opened them and added additional sugar and yeast. The easiest way to see if the beverage is still fermenting is to look at it. In light, look to see if small bubbles are rising to the top. Use a flashlight if you aren't sure. If there are bubbles, the beverage is fermenting. Another way to tell is, if the area is completely quiet and your hearing is good, you can put your ear up to the bottle and actually hear it fermenting. It sounds a bit like "static".
ezcaps
Site Admin

Postby grofaz » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:43 pm

Yeap, right you are Sounds like static but very little bubbling. Today was day 7 for the wine and I have placed it in the fridge. The mead keeps chugging' along until next week for the required 2 week fermentation. There seems to be very little sedimentation. Also the wine and Mead touched the EZ Caps as I moved it around to check for sediment etc., will they deteriorate? I will post the results as soon as the first wine batch is done.

Thanks for the answer.
grofaz

Postby ezcaps » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:35 pm

grofaz wrote:Yeap, right you are Sounds like static but very little bubbling. Today was day 7 for the wine and I have placed it in the fridge. The mead keeps chugging' along until next week for the required 2 week fermentation. There seems to be very little sedimentation. Also the wine and Mead touched the EZ Caps as I moved it around to check for sediment etc., will they deteriorate? I will post the results as soon as the first wine batch is done.

Thanks for the answer.

They wont deteriorate from the contact, one of the FDA approved uses of the material is contact with beverage alcohol.
ezcaps
Site Admin

Return to Recipes and questions