Yeast

Alcohol is impossible without yeast.

Yeast

Postby ezcaps » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:27 am

Since I get a lot of questions about yeast I added a forum for the topic.

One of the most common questions I get is about reusing yeast.

If you make a beverage, say hard cider, you'll have a good amount of yeast on the bottom. As long as there isn't going to be a delay between batches you can reuse the yeast by draining (drinking) your beverage and adding your ingredients on top of the yeast and shaking it. You don't have to add more yeast. There are several advantages to doing this:

1) You don't have to clean the container. Just start a new batch in the same container.
2) You are starting your batch with billions of more yeast than if you pitch the normal amount. Your beverage will ferment much faster and will finish sooner.
3) If you are attempting to ferment something that is hard to get started, making it as a consecutive batch will greatly improve your odds.

A common question is, how many consecutive batches can you make this way? Each generation of yeast develops its own minor mutations. As consecutive batches are made you may develop your own 'strain' of yeast. Such a strain could contribute off flavors to the drink. To avoid this, I recommend never reusing the yeast more than 6 times.

Another question is regarding sanitation. I can understand that because used yeast looks disgusting. But remember this is how humans made wine for thousands of years. Also remember that the byproduct of yeast is alcohol, which is a known sanitizer.

If you're not going to be making a consecutive batch immediately, discard the yeast and don't try to reuse it.
ezcaps
Site Admin

Re: Yeast

Postby Casketmaker » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:28 am

2) You are starting your batch with billions of more yeast than if you pitch the normal amount. Your beverage will ferment much faster and will finish sooner.

True it will ferment faster but this can also cause an off taste. Fermenting too fast or too slow will affect the taste of the wine. The best reason to reuse the yeast is in the case of mead making. Pitching dry yeast (without yeast energizer) may not always make the fermentation start on a batch of mead but if you use the sediment from a previous batch of white wine (apple or grape) the mead will start fast and will come out good.
Casketmaker

Return to Yeast