bulk yeast

Alcohol is impossible without yeast.

bulk yeast

Postby highestbid » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:03 pm

I am only interested in making beer not wine or other beverages. Beer yeast comes in a limited number of package sizes (usually enough to make 5 gallons) how do you adjust this for 2 litters? How do you measure the right amount and how do you store the remaining yeast to prevent contamination?
highestbid

Re: bulk yeast

Postby ezcaps » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:56 am

highestbid wrote:I am only interested in making beer not wine or other beverages. Beer yeast comes in a limited number of package sizes (usually enough to make 5 gallons) how do you adjust this for 2 litters? How do you measure the right amount and how do you store the remaining yeast to prevent contamination?

I usually make two gallon batches (four 2-liter bottles) and I pitch 1/2 of the yeast sachet into the kettle, mix it, and then transfer it to the 2-liter bottles. I usually make two gallons of dark beer and two gallons of pale, so normally I use the entire sachet in the same afternoon.

If I am making only 2 liters of beer I use approximately 1/4 the sachet of beer yeast. To store it I just fold it and put a rubber band around it and put it in the fridge, have kept it that way for months with no problems.
ezcaps
Site Admin

Re: bulk yeast

Postby nursgon » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:36 pm

I have been making 2 lt beer for a few months and found that I need 1/8tsp of brewers yeast per 2lt bottle, I have made a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCf0vHYdz4M I use the power malt and corn sugar 1 cup of each per 4lt. You can use any malt you want light , dark , med ,ect. yeast is up to you too brewers yeast works great but I have used other types and had good batches just use about 1/8tsp per 2lt. Hops well there are many types out there I tend to use the Aroma Hops Czech Saaz Hops pellets, they come in differnt size bags, I just buy the 4oz bag and use 1tab spoon per 4lt batch, just wrap up the hops in a coffee filter tie it up and add to the worth, if you need a bitter hop theres Nugget Hops, Perle Hops ect but they can be added the same way. E-ZCAPS make it very easy to try new malts and hops befor I make 5gl I think these caps are the best and I am always spreading the word to brew your own and use the E-ZCAPS.
nursgon

Return to Yeast