Type of yeast?

Alcohol is impossible without yeast.

Re: Type of yeast?

Postby Mayotruck » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:27 pm

Last edited by Mayotruck on Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mayotruck

Postby Ardella25 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:24 pm

If you mean for baking bread, dehydrated yeast is perfectly OK. It will be sold specifically as baker's yeast. It lasts for a few months before it loses effectiveness. If you have some but it is over about 4 months age, double the amount you put in.

Fresh yeast is great but not a huge amount better than dehydrated yeast. It has a very short shelf life but if you bake every day you can make your own culture and then keep it going. You need a bit more experience and technique to get best results from fresh yeast whereas dehydrated yeast can just be chucked in without worry if you use the right amount.

If you are talking about home brewing, use dehydrated brewing yeast. Use a type specifically sold for the drink you are brewing - don't use wine yeast
Ardella25

Postby LeaMarie » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:46 pm

What's the big deal EzCaps are AWESOME! ENOUGH SAID!
LeaMarie

Postby VillaTempest » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:30 pm

It's been a while since this thread was last active, and as much as I would also like to know the yeast strain, I can respect the party line that the specific yeast used in the kits is a trade secret. I have no problem with that at all.

Now, given what has been said in roundabout ways, it might help the original poster to consider the following yeasts as a guide for answering his own questions:

Springer oeneologie SC 22 yeast starter
Lalvin EC-1118, and
Red Star Premier Cuvée

All these yeasts have a similar profile to what has already been outline above in previous posts.

Fermenting at low temperatures favor slower fermentation and can favor certain 'undesirable' (unpredictable?) flavor or aroma byproducts. Conversely fermenting too hot produces rapid fermentation and surprise surprise, other undesirable byproducts. Thus fermenting in the middle of the temp range, in the general case, usually results in predictable results from batch to batch.

The reusing (and/or washing of) yeast to start the next batch is a common brewing practice and is generally stable up to ten generations (reuses) however unpredictable mutagenesis is generally considered to set in more rapidly after six uses. To get a usable 'new' strain out of such reuse, the yeast needs to be plated out and a stable mono colony isolated and then cultivated which is usually beyond the interest or skill of the average hobby brewer.

Similarly, the average punter is generally not interested in yeast strain details, as long as it works in the Mina, and in the general case. I take apple juice, E-Z Caps Dry Wine Yeast, mix them together, at kitchen temp for th first 24 h then shift it to my cellar 18 deg. C for the rest of the time. Decant consume and start again. My interest in the variety of the yeast is academic I case I ever use it all and decide to get some new stuff to replace it through a local home brew shop - you know, experimentation. ;-)

Good luck with it all, thanks E-Z Caps and hopefully this thread can move on. :-D
VillaTempest

Type of yeast?

Postby G8S » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:37 pm

If you want to use a lager yeast, that says it likes 50-59 F, will easy caps work fermenting at cooler temps? (I should add I am a BEGINNER!)
G8S

Postby ezcaps » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:41 pm

G8S wrote:If you want to use a lager yeast, that says it likes 50-59 F, will easy caps work fermenting at cooler temps? (I should add I am a BEGINNER!)

Yes.
ezcaps
Site Admin

Postby Jackarce » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:10 pm

ezcaps wrote:
Mayotruck wrote:I need to know these specs on the yeast contrave side effects
then, for ideal fermentation:

1) bottom temperature
2) tolerable temperature (hottest)
3) Ideal temperature
4) Wine or champagne yeast?
5) Quick or not?
6) I assume its dry?
7) Maximum alcohol toleration?

Making delicious alcoholic beverages with EZ Caps means not having to worry about stuff like that. Just add yeast to fruit juice, ferment, clarify, and enjoy.

hard to say any thing about one of this guestion...
Jackarce

Previous

Return to Yeast